Total Pageviews

Monday, April 29, 2013

More Bartimaeus Excerpts

Hello all,

I have another snippet from the tentatively titled "Bartimaeus and the Hyperion Circle". Futurefic. Woohoo. If anyone can recommend a good fanfiction site to start posting actual chapters, that'd be awesome.


-----------------


“According to our records, some of you have not been summoned for a very, very long time. Let me be the first to tell you then that times have changed. Britain’s power is gone, and her colonies around the world are thriving on independence. Our technology has advanced ten-fold in the past decade alone. You will see things that you do not understand.”

Connor walked into his living room to find Bartimaeus on the rug with Connor's iPod. The earpieces were firmly implanted in his ears and he seemed lost in the music. His thumb scrolled through the list multiple times. Beside him was a discarded Walkman, and various CD cases from Michael Jackson to Linkin Park. In the corner of the room, Connor’s vintage record player had been dusted off. His Pink Floyd, Kansas, and Led Zeppelin vinyls were sitting on the chair next to it.
Connor grinned. “I see you’ve been busy. What are you listening to?”
Bartimaeus turned to him. “I like this band, Aerosmith. Good sound.”
“Rock ‘n Roll junkie, huh?”
“What?”
“Aerosmith is rock ‘n roll. I had a feeling you’d like that. Try Metallica or the Beatles next.”
Bartimaeus rolled his eyes. “I listened to your Beatles record. Not quite my taste.”
Connor sat on the floor beside him, aghast. “Are you telling me you don’t like the Beatles? You bastard.” He laughed.
Bart shot him a wolfish grin and reached for Connor’s laptop. “I ain’t no hippie. What else have you got in here?”
Connor smirked. “You know, there’s this great thing called Youtube.”
Bart waved him off and picked up an Adele CD. “Oh, I’ve seen it. You know, I honestly thought you were joking when you said there’d been an Artistic Revolution after the London Fall.”
“I told you, they’ve written history books about it. Spread like a virus.” Connor thought for a moment. “You know, I think it goes without saying that you’re a rocker at heart. Have you listened to rap yet?”
Bart quirked an eyebrow. “Is that what you were playing in the car yesterday?”
“Yup. Music of the streets. New York’s finest.”
Bart put down the laptop and steepled his fingers together, regarding Connor like a therapist. “Methinks you have a limited library to choose from then.”
Connor shook his head. “Darlin’, you have no idea how wrong you are.”



No comments:

Post a Comment